Teen runover, dies while walking to bus stop | Schools
IREDELL COUNTY - A North Iredell High School student died after being hit by a jeep while walking to his bus stop Wednesday morning.
John "Mason" Barazotti, 15, was hit on Sunflower Road while walking with his sister to their bus stop at the intersection of Sunflower and Society roads at 6:52 a.m., said Trooper J.S. Fox with the North Carolina State Highway Patrol.
The teen was airlifted to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem where he later died of what appeared to be internal injuries, said Trooper Fox.
Twenty-year-old Tyler Campbell, who was driving north on Sunflower Road when he hit Barazotti, will not be charged, according to the NCSHP.
The road where the incident happened does not have a sidewalk, and Barazotti and his sister had to walk "a good quarter mile" to get to their bus stop.
"This time of year when it's dark in the mornings and there's frost on your car, it's important to decrease your speed and be aware," said Trooper Fox, "Pedestrians should also wear light, reflective clothing on their upper body.
Barazotti's sister was not injured in the incident.
A spokesperson with Iredell-Statesville Schools said Barazotti was a ninth grader at North Iredell High School.
Top Statesville - Iredell County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- I-85 ramp to re-close after tractor trailer wreck, fire
- Fisherman who drowned after boat sank in Lake Norman identified
- NASCAR driver accused of stealing competitor's vehicles turns himself in
- Huntersville courting Asian business opportunities
- Middle school student charged with threatening President during school visit
- Deputies: Man charged with sex crimes against 15-year-old girl
- Nearly $900 worth of cigarettes stolen in Lincoln Co break-in, deputies say
- 3 arrested in connection with possible meth lab in northern Lincoln Co.
- Plant still closed after 28 sickened in CO exposure in Lincoln Co.
- Five people arrested in break-in that netted only a television and a trip to jail