Teen runover, dies while walking to bus stop | Schools
IREDELL COUNTY - A North Iredell High School student died after being hit by a jeep while walking to his bus stop Wednesday morning.
John "Mason" Barazotti, 15, was hit on Sunflower Road while walking with his sister to their bus stop at the intersection of Sunflower and Society roads at 6:52 a.m., said Trooper J.S. Fox with the North Carolina State Highway Patrol.
The teen was airlifted to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem where he later died of what appeared to be internal injuries, said Trooper Fox.
Twenty-year-old Tyler Campbell, who was driving north on Sunflower Road when he hit Barazotti, will not be charged, according to the NCSHP.
The road where the incident happened does not have a sidewalk, and Barazotti and his sister had to walk "a good quarter mile" to get to their bus stop.
"This time of year when it's dark in the mornings and there's frost on your car, it's important to decrease your speed and be aware," said Trooper Fox, "Pedestrians should also wear light, reflective clothing on their upper body.
Barazotti's sister was not injured in the incident.
A spokesperson with Iredell-Statesville Schools said Barazotti was a ninth grader at North Iredell High School.
Upcoming Events near Statesville - Iredell County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials: Water line leak forces closure of 2 lanes of Hwy 150
- Officials: Hwy 150 closed after fatal Mooresville wreck
- Report: High school PE teacher accused of texting, touching student
- Charlotte high school placed on lockdown after suspicious package found
- Plane found in Lake Norman sank in 1974, officials say
- Man shot by deputies during standoff released from hospital, taken to jail
- Charges dropped against Lincoln Co. dad in kids' deaths
- Report: Woman stole $4,000 coin collection from man "helping her out"
- NCIS-Carolinas cite Sheriff's Office for support in high profile larceny investigation
- Unwanted prescription drop off this weekend
- Happy Christmas from Salisbury, England
- Officials: 2 arrested in case of newlywed shot during break-in
- Man shot to death in car on Brenner Avenue; second shooting within 8 hours
- Local woman talks about meeting Nelson Mandela
- Warrants: Man charged with murder would inherit property if grandfather, mother died