Deputies: Charlotte duo sold marijuana in Iredell Co. | News
IREDELL COUNTY, NC (WBTV)- Two men were arrested after a lengthy covert investigation into the distribution of marijuana into the Iredell County area, according to the Iredell County Sheriff's Office.
Joseph Reece Payne, 28, and John Gabriel Tringas, 23, both of Charlotte, were arrested for their involvement in the drug being transported from the Charlotte area and being distributed in Iredell County, deputies said.
Once the men and operation were identified in Iredell County during the covert operation, the investigation continued into the Charlotte area with the assistance of agents from the Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms and Charlotte Mecklenburg Narcotics Division.
The agents conducted a search warrant on Payne's Charlotte home, where they found over 2,900 grams of marijuana, three hand guns, and over $5,000, the report states.
Deputies say the marijuana found is an exotic strain, and has a higher street value and physical effect than marijuana that is familiar to the public. The street value of the marijuana seized is over $26,000, as this particular strain would sell for $4,000 a pound, where your typical pound of the drug would sell for $1,000.
The men were taken before a magistrate at the Iredell County Detention Facility where both were charged with felony possession with the intent to sell and deliver marijuana, and felony possession of marijuana and maintain a vehicle.
Payne received a $50,000 secured bond, and Tringas received a $20,000 secured bond.
Deputies told WBTV that more arrests are expected in this investigation.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Statesville - Iredell County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials: Water line leak forces closure of 2 lanes of Hwy 150
- Officials: Hwy 150 closed after fatal Mooresville wreck
- Report: High school PE teacher accused of texting, touching student
- Charlotte high school placed on lockdown after suspicious package found
- Plane found in Lake Norman sank in 1974, officials say
- Man shot by deputies during standoff released from hospital, taken to jail
- Charges dropped against Lincoln Co. dad in kids' deaths
- Report: Woman stole $4,000 coin collection from man "helping her out"
- NCIS-Carolinas cite Sheriff's Office for support in high profile larceny investigation
- Unwanted prescription drop off this weekend
- Officials: 2 arrested in case of newlywed shot during break-in
- Man shot to death in car on Brenner Avenue; second shooting within 8 hours
- Local woman talks about meeting Nelson Mandela
- Warrants: Man charged with murder would inherit property if grandfather, mother died
- Police: man jailed after knife attack on his own mother