Deputies: Charlotte duo sold marijuana in Iredell Co. | News
IREDELL COUNTY, NC (WBTV)- Two men were arrested after a lengthy covert investigation into the distribution of marijuana into the Iredell County area, according to the Iredell County Sheriff's Office.
Joseph Reece Payne, 28, and John Gabriel Tringas, 23, both of Charlotte, were arrested for their involvement in the drug being transported from the Charlotte area and being distributed in Iredell County, deputies said.
Once the men and operation were identified in Iredell County during the covert operation, the investigation continued into the Charlotte area with the assistance of agents from the Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms and Charlotte Mecklenburg Narcotics Division.
The agents conducted a search warrant on Payne's Charlotte home, where they found over 2,900 grams of marijuana, three hand guns, and over $5,000, the report states.
Deputies say the marijuana found is an exotic strain, and has a higher street value and physical effect than marijuana that is familiar to the public. The street value of the marijuana seized is over $26,000, as this particular strain would sell for $4,000 a pound, where your typical pound of the drug would sell for $1,000.
The men were taken before a magistrate at the Iredell County Detention Facility where both were charged with felony possession with the intent to sell and deliver marijuana, and felony possession of marijuana and maintain a vehicle.
Payne received a $50,000 secured bond, and Tringas received a $20,000 secured bond.
Deputies told WBTV that more arrests are expected in this investigation.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Top Statesville - Iredell County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- I-85 ramp closed after tractor trailer wreck, fire
- Fisherman who drowned after boat sank in Lake Norman identified
- NASCAR driver accused of stealing competitor's vehicles turns himself in
- Huntersville courting Asian business opportunities
- Middle school student charged with threatening President during school visit
- Deputies: Man charged with sex crimes against 15-year-old girl
- Nearly $900 worth of cigarettes stolen in Lincoln Co break-in, deputies say
- 3 arrested in connection with possible meth lab in northern Lincoln Co.
- Plant still closed after 28 sickened in CO exposure in Lincoln Co.
- Five people arrested in break-in that netted only a television and a trip to jail