BBB Releases Mid-Year 2012 ‘Dirty Half Dozen’ List of Worst Rated Companies | News
CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV)- The Better Business Bureau today announced its mid-year 2012 ‘Dirty Half Dozen' list of worst rated area businesses.
In the first half of 2012, consumers filed 6,437 complaints with the BBB against businesses in the Southern Piedmont of NC and SC.
The top six businesses with the most unanswered or unresolved complaints are included on the BBB's ‘Dirty Half Dozen' list.
"The level of customer service provided by these six companies is unacceptable to their customers and to the BBB," said BBB President Tom Bartholomy. "Customers expect and should receive, at the very minimum, a response from the company when they are unhappy with the products or services received."
BBB's Mid-Year 2012 ‘Dirty Half Dozen' List (with link to BBB report):
1. Instant Tax Service (BBB grade F) - Instant Tax Service upset hundreds of tax filers in Charlotte and Gastonia by allegedly deducting higher than expected tax preparation fees from their customers' refunds and charging large fees for refund anticipation loans. In March, the N.C. Attorney General filed suit against Instant Tax Service and obtained a Temporary Restraining Order to prevent the company from engaging in what it referred to as "illegal business activities." Instant Tax Service has 15 unanswered and unresolved BBB complaints in 2012, and 75 total complaints in the previous 36 months.
"When someone is expecting a tax refund, they may have delayed paying bills or getting their car fixed until they have the money from their refund," Bartholomy said. "So, when Instant Tax Service's customers got their refund checks and found out that up to $800 in tax preparation fees had been deducted allegedly without their knowledge, they were very angry."
2. Home Appliance Repair (BBB grade F) – Michael Henderson of Gastonia provides appliance repair services and has used ten different business names over the past few years. Complainants allege that he assesses the appliance that needs repair, determines that a part is needed, collects an upfront fee for the part, and then either doesn't return to complete the work or does poor quality work. Home Appliance Repair has six unanswered complaints in 2012, and 25 total complaints in the previous 36 months.
REPEAT OFFENDER – Home Appliance Repair was number one on the BBB's 2011 Dirty Dozen List with the most unanswered and unresolved complaints of any business last year.
"Michael Henderson has a pattern of changing his business name, and customers tell us that he has also changed his own name to David Henderson," said Bartholomy. "When individuals use aliases and change their business name frequently, the reason is usually because they don't want customers to find out about their history of consumer complaints."
3. Race City Waterworks Car Wash (BBB grade F) - Customers of this Mooresville-based self-service car wash complained that the machines took their money, but didn't give them change back or didn't turn on the car wash. With no attendant on-site, the customers have had trouble getting refunds. Race City Waterworks has six unanswered complaints in 2012, and 12 total complaints in the previous 36 months.
"The complaints filed against Race City Waterworks Car Wash illustrate a new trend that we are seeing with consumers filing complaints with the BBB over very small amounts of money," said Bartholomy. "The average amount in dispute is less than 10 dollars, but these folks want their money back."
4. Discount Furniture & More (BBB grade F) – Customers of the University City location of Discount Furniture & More complained that the furniture and mattresses they received were not what they ordered. In some cases, customers claim that they received used products, instead of new products. Discount Furniture & More (University City location) has five unanswered complaints in 2012, and 10 total complaints in the previous 36 months.
5. MZ Auto Inspections (BBB grade F) - Belmont-based MZ Auto Inspections does auto repair work and oil changes, in addition to auto inspections. Complaints focus on poor quality repair work and difficulty getting refunds. MZ Auto Inspections has five unanswered complaints in 2012, and six total complaints in the previous 36 months.
6. HomeFurniture2day.com (BBB grade F) - Customers filed complaints after they ordered, but did not receive, furniture from Cornelius-based HomeFurniture2day.com. This company has five unanswered complaints in 2012, and five total complaints in the previous 36 months. The BBB has an indication that this company has been sold, but they have not responded to the BBB's request for documentation.
Consumers can check out a business and get a free BBB Business Review online or by calling the BBB (toll-free in NC and SC) at 1-877-317-7236.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Top Statesville - Iredell County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- NASCAR driver accused of stealing competitor's vehicles turns himself in
- Huntersville courting Asian business opportunities
- Middle school student charged with threatening President during school visit
- Police: Middle schooler used school-laptop to chat with sex offender
- President calls for high-speed, wireless Internet in 99% of nation's schools
- Deputies: Man charged with sex crimes against 15-year-old girl
- Nearly $900 worth of cigarettes stolen in Lincoln Co break-in, deputies say
- 3 arrested in connection with possible meth lab in northern Lincoln Co.
- Plant still closed after 28 sickened in CO exposure in Lincoln Co.
- Five people arrested in break-in that netted only a television and a trip to jail