Statesville duo charged with identity theft | Crime
STATESVILLE, NC (WBTV) – Two men were arrested over the past month after deputies say they stole someone's identity.
Gary Lee Gemes, 42, and Phillip Lang Bowes, 38, both of Statesville, are charged with one count of identity theft, according to a news release from the Iredell County Sheriff's Office.
During the investigation, detectives received information that the two suspects had retrieved a copy of the victim's birth certificate without the victim's knowledge. The day after the birth certificate was obtained one of the suspects was issued a South Carolina Identification Card using the copy of the birth certificate and social security number, according to the release.
South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles then used facial recognition software and discovered that Phillip Bowes obtained a fraudulent South Carolina Identification Card.
Bowes was arrested last week and placed in the Iredell County Detention Center under a $10,500 bond.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Statesville - Iredell County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials: Hwy 150 closed after fatal Mooresville wreck
- Report: High school PE teacher accused of texting, touching student
- Charlotte high school placed on lockdown after suspicious package found
- Plane found in Lake Norman sank in 1974, officials say
- Police looking for two men who robbed north Charlotte bank
- Teachers selling BBQ to show "Love for Leah"
- Investigators: 21st Meth lab in Lincoln Co. this year found, man arrested
- Lincoln Co. Sheriff kicks off 'Top 40' drug round-up Wednesday
- Deputies: Denver man arrested after he tried to break into neighbor's house
- Duo arrested after robbing store with BB gun, knife, police say