Statesville duo charged with identity theft | Crime
STATESVILLE, NC (WBTV) – Two men were arrested over the past month after deputies say they stole someone's identity.
Gary Lee Gemes, 42, and Phillip Lang Bowes, 38, both of Statesville, are charged with one count of identity theft, according to a news release from the Iredell County Sheriff's Office.
During the investigation, detectives received information that the two suspects had retrieved a copy of the victim's birth certificate without the victim's knowledge. The day after the birth certificate was obtained one of the suspects was issued a South Carolina Identification Card using the copy of the birth certificate and social security number, according to the release.
South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles then used facial recognition software and discovered that Phillip Bowes obtained a fraudulent South Carolina Identification Card.
Bowes was arrested last week and placed in the Iredell County Detention Center under a $10,500 bond.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Top Statesville - Iredell County Stories
Upcoming Events near Statesville - Iredell County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Deputies: Man reported stolen motorcycle, hid it in storage
- NASCAR to honor Dick Trickle after suicide in cemetery
- South Fork Volunteer Fire Department receives $60,000 NC State grant
- Drug busts net meth lab, alcohol still, deputies say
- Deputies: Mom charged after lying about kidnapping, sparking false Amber Alert
- Spencer man charged with trying sell oxycodone pills, report says
- Comm Barber: Farm To School Calendar contest winners announced
- Governor McCrory to speak at Kannapolis Veteran's event
- FBI searching for Cabarrus sex offender who cut GPS tracker and fled
- RCCC touts Literature and Fine Arts Festival as success